Are you passionate about software development, functional programming (in particular F#) and cloud programming? If so, we'd love to talk to you.
About Compositional IT
Compositional IT's (CIT) goal is to help organisations be the best they can be through the use of F# and Azure. Whether it's through development and delivery expertise, architectural guidance, or training an existing team up with a specific technology or practice, we're interested in helping teams be better. It's our aim to improve the bar of software quality, helping organisations and teams to benefit from the power and simplicity of functional programming, whilst harnessing the power of the cloud.
When combined together, it's possible to develop powerful systems in a minimum of time. CIT was formed in 2015 by Isaac Abraham and is based in the UK, with customers across the globe.
About the Team
We're always looking for talented people to bring something new to the team. Projects vary from larger, longer-term projects that require multiple people to single-person engagements that last just a few weeks. Our team members support each other, with an emphasis on collaboration and pooling knowledge & skills together wherever possible.
We operate a consistent and well-documented approach to development that ensures that you're never alone in implementing any solution, with an open and friendly environment encouraged. We also offer great learning opportunities and personal career development, varied work (development, consultancy, training and coaching) and a wide latitude towards achieving goals. We operate a flat structure and provide great opportunities for you to get involved not just in a technical sense but to help shape the direction the company takes.
Our vision is simple: "functional-first solutions for every-day software". This means we don't only believe in the use of functional programming for "difficult" problems or "maths and science" challenges, but a trust and belief that functional programming can and should be applied as a solution to general-purpose programming problems, whether that's for line-of-business web applications, data cleaning processes or real time data ingestion engines.
What We Do
We offer a variety of services for our customers across a variety of domains, which we realise using F# and Azure. Our main services include:
- Bespoke systems development, primarily using F# and Azure
- Training and coaching
- Consultancy & advisory services and architectural reviews
Who We're Looking For
You're someone who is looking to work alongside our existing UK-based team and are eligible to work in the UK. You're happy to work fully remotely but meet periodically in London. You're enthusiastic about functional programming and cloud, and have a strong belief in the use of these technologies; whilst you're interested in learning and improving your existing skillset, you're also someone that enjoys sharing your expertise with others. You enjoy working in teams but can also work on your own, and you're comfortable taking personal responsibility and showing initiative for your work. You're someone that isn't afraid to raise concerns and can communicate well with others. You're excited by the opportunity to help shape a growing software consultancy, coming up with ideas that will make CIT an even better place to be. You're committed to continual improvement, even through small steps.
- Working with a major cloud provider (ideally Azure but AWS, GCP etc. are fine)
- Working in a customer-facing role. We’re not looking for someone that will be coding for 8 hours a day, but someone that can work with our customers to understand their needs and pro-actively and creatively identify pragmatic solutions that provide value
- An interest in functional programming, or at the least not being wedded to the idea of object oriented programming
What You'll Be Doing
As a developer, you'll be expected to assist across delivery of all of our services, and be exposed to a variety of technologies and customers requiring multiple skills. You'll be:
- Developing top quality solutions to our customers' hardest problems using the latest technologies on .NET, specialising in functional-first, cloud-ready solutions
- Assisting through all stages of software development, starting from requirements gathering, backlog management, estimation and development whilst ensuring that you build up a great relationship with our customers
- Developing and delivery training materials direct to customers either through in-person training scenarios or through longer-term coaching programs
- Taking ownership of the code you write by providing ongoing support to customers
- Encouraged to share your experience of working with F# and Azure by speaking at conferences and user groups
- Given the opportunity to get involved in the account management process, building a deep understanding of customers and bringing to their attention ways that they can improve
Developing Your Career at CIT
We're committed to continually improving our skills and do so in a way that encourages sharing and reuse throughout the team, whilst contributing back to the open source community:
- We run monthly internal training sessions that help build and share knowledge whilst also growing the confidence of individuals
- We run quarterly "hack days" designed to promote team building in a risk-free, fun environment
- Team members are encouraged to contribute to open source projects whenever possible, and are supported in spending a percentage of their time supporting open source projects from Compositional IT as well as the broader F# and Azure community
- We want our team to be the best in the business and so we offer support for those wanting to further their knowledge in F# and Azure through external training and conferences
Software and Tooling
We provide full access to the Microsoft suite of development tools including Visual Studio and Office365. We operate a BYOD (bring-your-own-device) policy by default, with hardware provided on a case-by-case basis.
- Salary range between £30k and £60k depending on experience
- 25 days paid annual leave
- Paid sick leave
- Working from home policy
- Training budget
- Pension scheme
- Social events including xmas party
- Opportunities for career progression
Want to Work with Us?
Just fill out this form, and someone will contact you shortly!
Note: We are currently only hiring for permanent UK-based full time staff.
Please only apply if you already have permission to work in the UK.